About Me

I write fiction, non-fiction, and do theoretical physics.

I am the author The Best View Money Can Buy, collection of fiction stories about humanity, technology, science, reality, and the future.

I am currently Ph.D. student in theoretical physics in the Department of Physics at Arizona State University. I earned my M.S. in physics from California State University, Los Angeles, where I was a RISE M.S.-to-Ph.D. Fellow. I earned my B.S. in physics with a minor in computer science from the University of California, San Diego.

I’m guided by the big questions that we all think about at some time: What is reality? How did the universe come to be? Why do I exist? These are difficult questions whose potential answers intrigue me, as perhaps they may fascinate you too. There are many ways in which one may approach such questions. For me, I engage these questions academically at various levels, including by thinking of them from the collective perspectives of physics, philosophy, and theology. I also explore these and related questions through writing creative fiction. 

My doctoral research in theoretical physics is at the intersection of cosmology, black holes, and quantum gravity. Currently, I am working on questions related to nonsingular black holes, cosmic expansion, and exploring philosophical and theological questions related to the origin of the universe. My M.S. thesis was on tests of general relativity and modified theories of gravity using quasi-normal modes of black holes. I have also conducted research at CERN on dark photons and their role in possible models of dark matter. This work was funded by the National Science Foundation IRES award. 
 
I came to my interest in physics through my earlier research on what is perhaps the most complex organized physical system observed thus far in the universe: the human brain. I did this research as an Amgen Scholar at UCLA and MSRIP Scholar at University of California, Riverside. My exploration of concepts related to the brain, mind, awareness, and time inspired in me questions about nature and the universe that I thought could best be answered through theoretical physics.

Teaching is and has been an important aspect of my career. I am a Teaching Assistant in the Department of Physics at Arizona State University, where I have led recitation and laboratory sections for undergraduate courses in physics. Previously, I was a Teaching Associate in the Department of Physics & Astronomy at California State University, Los Angeles, where I taught an activity section for undergraduate electromagnetism. In the past, I have taught a course for preparing for college-level physics for high school students as a part of the Upward Bound Math & Science summer program at Moreno Valley College. I have worked as a supplemental instructor in the English Department at Riverside City College. I have also served as a substitute teacher for several public school districts in southern California.

When I'm not trying to understand the world around me, I like to create. Writing has been an important outlet of this creativity as well as part of my life. I am currently working on a novel. I lived a former life as a video game journalist; during that time, I was published in numerous publications, including IGN, GamePro, Kombo, TheEscapist, and several others. 

When I find myself with extra time, I indulge in various other hobbies. I am currently in the process of teaching myself guitar. On the more physical side of things, I like to swim, lift, run, and bike. I've also been known to talk friends into going on long walks and hikes with me.

If you have any questions or want to contact me, please send me an email.